Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Canning in Winter

Winter is a great time to can meats, soups, meals, and beans. Then, during the summer, all you have to concentrate on canning is the truck-load of fruits and vegetables that are available at Farmer's Markets or from your own garden. Last summer I got the canning bug and canned everything, and my power bill reflected it. During the summer there is enough strain on the power grid, so I will do some of my canning during the winter. I still have frozen tomatoes to process into spaghetti sauce, which we use a lot of. This is another way to ease summer canning when there are just too many tomatoes!

My mother-in-law has been sick with a bad cold, and it was a treat for me to take her home some canned soup--Squash Soup, Sausage Soup, Turkey Soup, and White Chili, which is a kind of soup. She was thrilled to get the soups! It's nice to have them on hand when you need them.

Recently, Bill taught three ladies how to can meat. He will send me pictures of their work for posting.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I can't find an email address to contact you at, so I hope you don't mind me asking here.

    I live in Fresno, and am new to the whole survival/preparedness lifestyle.
    I prefer to buy in person, rather than the internet, as much as possible.
    Is there any "preparedness" type stores, here or near here?

    I love your website and links and check in daily.
    Thank you for your efforts!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that I didn't have an email set up--I have taken care of that! I will get the information together for you and will answer your post in a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete