Monday, November 23, 2009

Alternate Power Sources---Treadle Sewing Machines

This is a picture of my treadle sewing machine and it really works. It is not a Singer (there is no name on it at all), but my sewing machine repair guy said it likely was made in New England. It is an old machine, and a really nice one. It is not a family heirloom, my Grandmother bought it many years ago. She gave it to me when I was a teenager, and I sewed all of my clothes on it when I was in high school and junior college. I got married and didn't have room for it, so I gave it to my Mom. My Dad refinished the cabinet, and I got it back, again, several years ago. If there was an extended emergency of some sort, people's clothing would start to wear out from constant use, and there might not be clothing to replace them with. Even without electricity I could sew clothes, for my family and others. This could easily work into something I could barter with. I do have quite a stash of fabrics, although not the sort of fabrics that could be used as work clothes or quilts! I will have to stock up on those types of fabrics as part of my emergency preparation.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    I'm contemplating purchasing this exact machine and found yours while trying to research it. It appears that it may be a "Brunswick" machine carried by Sears between the late 1890's to the early 1900's. The cast iron base looks the same as other Brunswick machines but I can't find any other machines with no badges on the machine head. The one I'm purchasing is also missing the gold filigree on the machine arm, so maybe they had a name at one time, and the stencil was just poor and fell off over time. Here is a link with some info on sewing machines carried by Sears. Here is the site I found this information on
    http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html

    Good luck, your machine is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete