Saturday, March 13, 2010

Preparing

One topic of emergency preparedness that most people don't want to consider is exercise. You may have your food storage, your first aid kit and your 72 hour kit, but if you have to leave your home on foot with your backpack on your back, you need to be ready physically. Walking is a good way to get some aerobic exercise, especially good for your heart. Walking can be done alone, with a friend, a dog, or with family. A comfortable pair of shoes is all the "special" equipment you will need.

Last spring I was down for 10 weeks with bronchial problems, going to the doctor several times, and the emergency room, too. After I felt better I realized that my balance was not good. I found that walking fixed the problem in no time, especially walking on uneven ground.

When my boys were young I found that taking them for a walk opened communication. When my boys were little we never went for walks, but "adventures," which they always ended up being. When my boys were teenagers they grew to be 6' 8" tall. My younger son especially, would walk fast with a long stride, and he talked even faster. Keeping up with him was a real challenge and got my heart rate cranked up. We would discuss things that were on on their minds, and they could sort out and solve their problems.

Walking can be done anywhere, although it is more fun on the beach or in the forest. Once you are comfortable with walking at a good clip, then add ankle weights or a light day pack. Increase the weight every couple of weeks, and before you know it you will have lost a few pounds, and firmed up and toned your body. It won't take long and you will be able to carry your 72 hour kit/backpack for long distances.

No comments:

Post a Comment